After seven highly unsuccessful years, Google+ is effectively dead.
On Monday, The Wall Street Journal reported that the private information of hundreds of thousands of the social media platform’s users had been exposed to developers due to a software glitch, which the company discovered in March 2018 but decided not to disclose. According to the Journal, Google’s legal team said in a memo that news of the breach would result in “immediate regulatory interest.”
This report also indicated that Google planned to essentially shut down Google+ as it unveils new security measures, and the company quickly made that official in an announcement, saying the platform was permanently closing its doors to consumers. Google explained that there was indeed a glitch that could allow developers to access private profile information, including a user’s name, email address, occupation, gender, age, and profile photo. However, Google said no other